Until his death in 2011, Fr. Giovanni Sala, SJ, had been a student of Bernard Lonergan, a translator of Lonergan's work into Italian and German, and a world class Kant scholar. His writings as a Dialogue Partner of the Lonergan Institute for the "Good Under Construction," in Washington, DC is published below.
- Theological Aspects of Bernard Lonergan’s “Method in Theology*
Giovanni B. Sala, S.J. Translated from Italian by Donald E. Buzzelli of Washington, D.C.
- The Concept of the Transcendental in Kant and Lonergan. Delivered in Naples, Italy, March 8, 2008. Translated by Dr. Donald Buzzelli of Washington, D.C.
- Philosophical Aspects of Bernard Lonergan’s “Method in Theology.” Originally published in Italian as “Aspetti filosofici del ‘Metodo in teologia’ di B. Lonergan,” in La civiltà cattolica, February 17, 1973, pp. 329-341. Giovanni B. Sala, S.J. Translated by Dr. Donald Buzzelli of Washington, D.C.
- Bernard Lonergan’s “Method in Theology.” Originally published in Italian as “`Il metodo in teologia’ di Bernard Lonergan,” in La civiltà cattolica, December 2, 1972, pp. 468-477. Translated by Dr. Donald Buzzelli of Washington, D.C.
- The Metaphor of the Judge in the "Critique of Pure Reason" (B xiii f): A Key for Interpreting the Kantian Theory of Knowledge. Originally published in Universitas Monthly Review of Philosophy And Culture, n. 357 (vol. 31, n. 2) February 2004, pp. 13-35, and now published as an Internet edition with the author’s permission. Donald E. Buzzelli of Washington, D.C. translated the original Italian into English to prepare it for publication.
- The Experience of Being and the Horizon of Being. Originally published as Seinserfahrung und Seinshorizont nach E. Coreth und B. Lonergan, in Zeitschrift für Katholische Theologie 89 (1967) pp. 294-338. Translated from German into English by Mr. Roland Krismer of Innsbruck, Austria and Br. Dunstan Robidoux OSB of St. Anselm’s Abbey, Washington, DC.
- The Drama of the Separation of Faith and Reason (Fides et Ratio). , Originally published as “Il dramma della separazione tra fede e ragione” in Per una lettura dell’Enciclica Fides et Ratio (Vatican City, Quaderni de “L’Osservatore Romano”: 1999), pp. 103-111. Translated by Donald E. Buzzelli.
- Lonergan on the Virtually Unconditioned as the Ground of Judgment. (2001). Translated by Donald E. Buzzelli.
- From Thomas Aquinas to Bernard Lonergan: Continuity and Novelty. Originally published in Italian as Da Tommasso d'Aquino a Bernard Lonergan: continuitá e novitá in Rivista di Teologia (Napoli) 36 (1995) 407-425.(This text has been translated by Donald Buzzelli).
- Immediacy and Mediation in Our Knowledge of Being: Some Reflections on the Epistemologies of Emerich Coreth and Bernard Lonergan. (1972) For a translator's introduction, click here. Originally published as Immediatezza e mediazione della conoscenza dell’essere: Riflessioni sull’epistemologia di E. Coreth e B. Lonergan, in Gregorianum 53 (1972) pp. 45-87. (This text has been translated by Donald Buzzelli).
- Bernard J.F. Lonergan (1904-1984). Originally published in Italian in G. Mura and G. Penzo (eds.), La Filosofia Cristiana nei Secoli XIX e XX, II: Ritorno all’Eredità Scolastica (Rome: Città Nuova Editrice, 1994), pp. 843-863. (This text has been translated by Donald E. Buzzelli).